Several layouts that I started to narrow down.
Using this method of printing and mocking up particular pairings is definitely the best way to work, there’s something about using physical copies to really see what work best together and being able to really move the images about.
At first the task was daunting, but as Matt was busy, I cut out my images and started to put pairings and layouts together. I figured out that with 6 possible a4 pages able to be filled, I’d need 6 layouts, with enough intrigue and maintaining the same level throughout.
This led to some hard decisions and a lot of pondering; “you looked like a stressed out mum and these photos are your babies”. This was quite an accurate representation – I really did have a connection to my images, and trying to whittle them down was a painful process!
It was definitely interesting to start to see the running order emerge, and how the colours started to work together, minimal working with quite visually ‘busy’ pictures (tonal wise).
I loved the process and by the time Matt came to talk to me, I had put together a couple of combinations that I thought that worked, aswell as thinking further about using text (cutting out and seeing how words and images worked with each other).
It was interesting to see how putting portrait images next to landscape could drastically change the mood, without even considering which way round the images needed to be placed (landscape on left leading to portrait on right or vice versa?) This was made so much easier by being able to physically see the copies, and in the above pictures, you can see really subtle re arrangements, such as multiple images being stacked or placed opposite each other.
By the time Matt and I had finished discussing possible layouts and arrangements, the images that really worked well together were placed in an order that I was pleased with (although very different from original order!)Some of my prefered images had been ‘axed’ but again, like with Lauren, decisions were made on solid grounds, either the light wasnt strong enough, the image too busy, or the colours didn’t blend well, mostly though it was just because they simply didnt fit with anything else.
I enjoyed this process SO much, and it was definitely helpful to have two tutors to help me pull images together, as different bodies of work develop tendencies to be attracted to different types of work, so having the two to work off each other was helpful, as they both gave interesting perspectives.
The final running order is a mix of images that I really love, and ones that although I don’t love as much, work together within the grande scheme of things. The images that I’m not sch a ‘fan of’ I can see why they work, and its interesting to see how when I ask for feedback for my final images, people report that these images are actually their favorites. This started leading me to really question not only the nature of personal preference within art and how much it really does depend on your vision, but also bringing in the idea of ‘home’ shows that people approach the subject in various ways, and how it is so personal to do so.
I’m excited to tart putting these layouts together on InDesign, and shifting around a couple of things that maybe don’t translate so well in physical paper form.