Film in a Day

aveugle baise from Mhbareham on Vimeo.

cghjdtkuy

23283531_1843062822672267_592611453_n

C = Valentina
B = Omar
A = Max

Onna + Cavell = camera (main) but all have a go, all directors.

This workshop was SO much fun, and really introduced us to who we were going to be spending the next group project with, which was also helpful as we didn’t really know each other as artists with ideas at this point.

We discussed what we wanted out of the project briefly, but quickly found that we wanted to ‘get out and do it’, so after a rough idea of what we needed to create, we felt the outside area to the Arts Bar was probably the best place to film undisturbed.

We knew we wanted a comedic vibe to the film, so we started discussing shots that would lead to humour, such as the jump cut moving scene, the slightly ‘random’ hand signals, and quick and intense zooms. We also discussed the fact we wanted to shoot on an iPhone, as we felt this would test our skills as filmmakers to really let the composition and effects of the scene do the talking. We used the steadicam rig to stabilize, although we sometimes found it more than a hinderance than a help.

We discussed the addition of dialogue, but didn’t want to let it become a distraction instead of an addition, as once introduced, we would have to maintain that level throughout, so we landed on a silent film, maybe black and white, with the slapstick humour of a classic, French silent film.

Once filming we seemed to get on okay, shooting in narrative order to make sure we missed no scenes, when someone else was shooting, the others would check for continuity, and added distractions within the scene. We worked well together, discussing ideas before going through and shooting them, and adding to inital ones if we thought they were maybe too simplistic or not fitting in with the rest of the footage.

Max put together a rough edit on his Macbook in iMovie while we waited for all the footage to load onto the uni Macs and upload into Premier. Omar then followed this cut into Premier, but we ran out of time to edit as the footage took so long to transfer across and ended up showing the rough cut, which Max had applied a black and white ‘film’ filter to, with a jazz music clip played in the background from YouTube!

The response was pretty positive, lots of laughter showed us that we had achieved the humour genre, but feedback showed a couple of problems, the major one being confusion of the setting – if someone didn’t know the location, maybe they would have found it slightly disorienting? We aimed to take this tip on to our short film project, and recognised that often when ‘setting the scene’ the location needs ‘an establishing shot’ to guide he viewer.

We were pretty pleased with the film, although spotted a couple of places where glances at the camera or continuity perhaps didn’t work so well, but it was pleasing for just a day’s work!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s